Monday, September 12, 2016

Over the weekend project

Surprise!!!! I am trying to blog at least once a week.  I feel like I have been out of sync....I made a doily over the weekend.  I test for Grace Fearon ..you can find her on Ravelry.  I very seldom go to Ravelry.  It seems to be hard to navigate for me.  Besides I can never remember my user name, let alone my password, and it is just not worth the effort.  I would rather be hooking.  
The name of the pattern is Etienne and is still in the testing stages.  I really like this pattern.  It came out to 12 inches, I used a #6 Boye hook.  The thread is the self striping thread Alize Miss Batik....I just love how it worked in this pattern.  Oh yeah...this came in last week
More Alize Miss Batik.....I placed another order already this morning as I ran out of some colors, and others are running low...also reduced my price because another person selling it on Etsy lowered theirs.  Which will set me up for a rant....I don't understand why some shop owners feel like they have to undercut, or under price their goods.   I sell this stuff because I use it, and I like it....I make my doilies because I like creating them...I sell them because I cannot keep everything I make...you should see the pile of doilies I have...I like playing with the thread, I like the creative part of it.  With that being said I will not price my things just to make a sale.  I am proud of what I make..I say that not as a boastful person, but because my talent is worth something...as is everybody who creates handmade items.  We are craftsmen...we are not Walmart (does Walmart carry DMC Cebelia in their stores?  No)  they carry it in their warehouse because shelf space is too expensive for them to stock it in the store.  We cannot compete with Walmart...why should we as craftsmen compete with each other when we cannot compete with Walmart.  No I did not undercut their price on the thread...I just met their price....OK rant over..... Anyway you can find the thread and the doily at my shop
I finished this up last week....there is a mistake in it....can you see it?   I didn't find it until after I had it blocked and dried....I think I will add this to the pile I have to make a tablecloth using a bunch of white doilies....or maybe I will make a curtain....something..  Ok if you want to pop into my shop to have a look see...
                    Byhooks4u.etsy.com



5 comments:

Sherri said...

Vikki, is that color #4144. I really like it. How many skeins did it take to make that doily?

Ninu said...

loved the doily , beautiful pattern and lovely autumn colours. With you regarding lowering price just for the sake of sale. you shouldnt. you should respect your talent,time and heart u put into.

Charlotte said...

We all have to rant every now or then or we'd go crazy! I love Ravelry! My laptop saves my user name and password.

Summer said...

I love the doily! Nice work ♥

summerdaisycottage.blogspot.com

Mereknits said...

Your work is beautiful and you should never undersell what you create or the yarn/thread you sell.
Hugs,
Meredith